Saturday, December 6, 2008

Yawn...

Long day at work yesterday (and a hectic one) and I have another long one today. Lucky for me I'm off tomorrow. It's been very cold here; frigid in fact. It got down to 11 last night. This morning I found a card Sam had propped up on a window pane which had frozen to the glass last night. It's still there because I haven't chipped the ice from around it. Our house stays warm though, only the windows themselves are cold. I think tomorrow I am going to see about putting some plastic over the windows for some insulation.

On another note, I received my $20 wireless card from Edimax. This thing works flawlessly with Vista. It has an external antenna (one on a wire that you can place away from the computer case for better signal), and the software they bundle with it is simple yet extremely effective. As soon as it was installed I could view all the wireless networks in my area, see a % signal strength, whether it was 802.11B, G, or N, and type of encryption. It even picked up my router which I had set to not broadcast the SSID. It found it...it just didn't have a name. And unlike other wireless networks I've used, the encryption with this new router and card work great together. I had no problem setting up a secured wireless network, and my transfer speeds are great. Did I mention I'm getting 100% signal from the router? Excellent router, excellent card.

No comments: